GLOBAL HUNGER STATS
HUNGER STATS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
- Hunger is the world’s number one health risk. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
- 1 in 7 people in the world will go to bed hungry tonight.
- 1 out of 4 children in developing countries are underweight.
- There are more hungry people in the world than the populations of the US, Canada, and the European Union combined.
- 925 million people do not have enough to eat. 88% of them live in developing countries
Source: World Food Programme
HUNGER STATS FROM THE UNITED STATES
- Hunger affects all 50 states, all 435 Congressional districts, and every country on earth.
- 49 million Americans (15%) live at risk of hunger: 1/6 (The Alliance to End Hunger)
- In 2010, households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (20.2%), especially households with children headed by single women (35.1%) or single men (25.4%), black non-Hispanic households (25.1%) and Hispanic households (26.2%).
- In 2010, 4.8% of all US households (5.6 million households) accessed emergency food from a food pantry one or more times.
Source: Feeding America